Marcia Garcia Stages

maria garcia process

Out of all of the characters I would say that Marcia Garcia was the easiest to make.

1. I started by colouring a large ball of white modelling chocolate bright Red. From this I separated two pieces for her arms and two pieces for her hair. I then rolled a large ball with the piece for her main body. I rolled one end into a slight cone shape and gently flattened the top of her head with my palm. I then took a thing 4″ cake board and positioned the body on top. With my fingers I then pressed down all the bottom edge of the ball to the board and then smoothed this off with a damp paintbrush. She only has one eye on show because her other eye is hidden under her hair so I made one eye socket using a Ball Tool. I then rolled a small ball of white modelling chocolate, dabbed the socket with glue and then placed the eye inside. With a Dresden Tool I then marked out the mouth and then carefully dug out the inside before smoothing it down with a damp paintbrush.

With a small pair of scissors I then snipped in all of her hair apart from where I knew her jacket would cover later on.

I then painted the inside of her mouth with Black Magic Rainbow Dust mixed with Isopropyl Alcohol and also painted the detail of her eye and one eyebrow. I then took six tiny pieces of white modelling chocolate for teeth, dabbed the top of the mouth with glue and inserted each one with a Cocktail Stick. I then rolled two tiny, long, thin sausages of white modelling chocolate for her lips. I trimmed them to size with a Cutting Wheel before dabbing around the mouth with glue and then placing one sausage on for her top lip and one for the bottom. I disguised the joins with a Dresden Tool and a small damp paint brush.

2. I then took a piece of red modelling chocolate that I’d put aside for her hair. I gently flattened it between my hands. I then placed it on my work surface and created the strands of hair by repeatedly running over it with a Cutting Wheel. I made some at the front in a sweeping direction to give the impression of a side fringe. I couldn’t secure the other side of her hair until her jacket had been put on because the hair hangs over it slightly.

3. I then coloured a piece of white modelling chocolate lilac for the jacket. From this I put two small pieces aside for her sleeves. I rolled this out thinly with a Rolling Pin. I then held this against the body to measure for size. I then cut a thin Rectangle to size using a Cutting Wheel. I brushed the entire body with glue and then placed the Rectangle around so as the join was at the back. I then disguised the join using a damp paintbrush.

4. With a Dresden Tool I then marked an opening on the front of the jacket, a collar all the way around the top and two small pockets either side. I then made her second piece of hair using the piece of red modelling chocolate that I’d put to one side earlier. I made this the same way as I made the other but positioned it so as it hung over where her other eye would have been. I glued the second piece on so as it gave her a middle parting on top of her head. I then disguised this further by going over it with a Cutting Wheel to create more strands of hair.

5. I then gave her body, face and hair some shadowing using Black Magic Rainbow Dust. I also painted on all the details of her jacket and her fraternity name ‘EEK’. I did this using Plum Truffle and Snow Drift Rainbow Dust. I painted the collar and bottom trim using Lavender Edible Art Dust and Snow Drift Rainbow Dust.

6. I then took the two pieces of red modelling chocolate that I’d put to one side for her arms. I rolled them into equal sized sausages and then snipped hair all over them using a small pair of scissors. She has no definition for hands. I then rolled out the two pieces of lilac modelling chocolate that I’d put aside for her sleeves. I rolled these out thinly and cut them into thin Rectangles using a Cutting Wheel. I then dabbed them with glue and placed an arm on top of each one. I then rolled the arms up into the sleeves and trimmed where needed with a small Palette Knife. I then disguised the joins with a damp paintbrush. I then cut the tops of the arms off at an angle so as they would fuse together with the sides of the body perfectly. I dabbed the sides of the jacket with glue and pressed the arms into position. I placed small pieces of sponge underneath them whilst they dried. Once dry I then painted the same trim around the bottom of each one as the one on the bottom of her jacket.

 

maria garcia complete

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s