Mike Wazowski Stages

mike process

I decided to attempt to make Mike next as I was pleased with how Scott had turned out and I’d decided that if I wanted to go ahead and complete a Monsters University cake I was going to have to make sure that the two main characters, Mike and Sully where spot on.

1. First I needed to make his pea green colour exactly right. I did this by mixing Sugar Flair food colouring, Autumn Leaf, Spruce Green and Egg Yellow is small amounts into white modelling chocolate until the colour was achieved. Next I rolled a smooth ball. I then compared this against Scott Squishy Squibbler to see if it was approximately the right size. I then made my ball into a slight tear drop shape. Using a Ball tool I then made his eye socket. The ball tool had to be pushed in at several different angles and gently pressed and circled to create a large enough eye socket. Using a Dresden tool I then carefully marked a thin circle around the eye socket. I then gently went back into the top half pushing upwards to create the eye lid. Using a damp paintbrush I then smoothed out any marks.

From white modelling chocolate I then rolled a smooth ball for his eye. I lightly glued the inside of the eye socket and placed the eye inside. I then lightly marked out his mouth with a Dresden tool. Using a small palette knife I then carefully cut around his mouth and gently dug out the middle to create his big smile. From white modelling chocolate I then lightly flattened a small piece of paste for a tongue. I dabbed the inside of his mouth with glue and placed the tongue in the centre and marked a line down the middle with a Dresden tool. This also helped to secure it. I then painted it using Rose Rainbow Dust and created shadow and shading with black before painting the entire of the inside black. I then lightly glued the top and bottom of his mouth. From white modelling chocolate I then made ten small teeth and carefully pressed them in place using a cocktail stick. I then rolled a tiny thin sausage for his brace. I lightly dabbed his top teeth with glue. I started by attaching the brace at either end onto his teeth at the far sides using a cocktail stick. I then gently went along the length of it and secured it. whilst I left this to dry I then began to paint his eye using Black and Rainforest Green Rainbow Dust. I then went back and painted the brace Silver.

2. I was slightly worried about how to make his legs and arms as they are so thin in comparison to the rest of his body and I didn’t know how the legs would carry his weight. I decided to use Flower Paste as this dries rock hard and is difficult to break. I rolled two thin straight sausages for his legs and two thin sausages about the same length and width for his arms. I gently bent one so as it would be hanging by his side casually and bent the other as if he had his hand on his hip. I then left them to dry over night.

I then shaded his body with Rainforest Green Rainbow Dust and painted the remaining details of his eye with a small paintbrush.

Once the legs had dried I used a Ball tool to gently press two indents into the bottom of his body where his legs would be. Very gently I then pushed each leg into the indents until they were at the length I wanted them. I then took them back out and dabbed the insides of the two holes with glue and also slightly filled them with Royal Icing before placing he legs back inside and leaving to dry. Once dry I then rolled out some of my green modelling chocolate very thinly and cut two thin strips to wrap around the legs. I brushed both legs with glue and carefully wrapped the chocolate around each one, removing any excess with a Cutting wheel. I then disguised the joins with a damp paintbrush. I then rolled two small balls and lightly flattened them before pressing each one on the legs to create knees. Again I blended these in using a damp brush.

3. I then did the same for his arms, creating an indent to secure them into. Once secured I then covered them with a thin layer of green modelling chocolate and disguised the joins. I also decided to give him a bit of a thigh at the top of his legs as this would also help to secure them. I did this the same way as the knees, by taking two small pieces of green chocolate and carefully blending them in to the tops of his legs and the bottom of his body.

For each hand I took a small ball of green modelling chocolate and made it into a slight pear shape and slightly flattened the wide end. I then snipped into it to create four small fingers using a small pair of scissors. Using a Dresden tool I then marked out knuckles and nails. I wanted one hand in a relaxed position and one with all the fingers bent into a fist. I did this by simply pushing each finger up into his palm with a cocktail stick.  I then carefully attached each hand to the ends of his arms. For the bent arm I lightly dabbed his side with glue and secured the hand against it.  I positioned sponges under his arms and hands whilst they dried. I then painted his nails with White Rainbow Dust and dusted the rest of his hand with Rainforest Green where I wanted shadowing.

4. For now that was all I could do as I felt that it was best to wait until I had covered a cake board and decided the positioning of my Monsters before I attached his feet as I felt that this would make him more stable.

mike

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s