- I’d already set my heart on using modelling chocolate to make my figures. I’d never worked with it before but was determined to use it as I felt that it best gave the effect that I desired. I love how it has a slight shine to it due to the cocoa butter, I think that this gives characters a more believable ‘skin’ effect.
- I wanted to make my figures as realistic as possible.
- I wanted people to be able to read the characters’ personalities from their expressions.
- I’d read all the guidelines on competition entries for each individual class and was undecided on whether to enter the ‘Novelty Cake’ class or the ‘Sculpted Novelty Cake’ Class as the only element of my cake I’d decided on so far was the figures! However, both classes stated that EVERYTHING had to be edible and you aren’t allowed to use supports or dummies. This worried me slightly as I was unsure how I’d be able to get some of the more difficult shaped figures to balance and not break, especially on the 2 hour drive down to Birmingham!
- I wanted my cake to be big and have a wow factor about not only the detail in the figures but also in whatever I chose to decorate my cake as.
- Impress my mum and dad as they were the ones to pressure me into entering and I wanted to prove to them that I could do it!